Main Conference Day 1
Main Conference Day 1
U.S.-China trade war, rising U.S. interest rates, political headwinds and an economic cycle at its peak: is this the perfect storm?
- Gideon Rachman - Chief Foreign Affairs Commentator, Financial Times
- To what extent are GPs pursuing a defensive strategy?
- Which themes and sectors are most attractive and how are continued high purchase prices being substantiated?
- How much emphasis is there on deleveraging?
- Gabriel Caillaux - Managing Director and Head of EMEA, General Atlantic
- Kurt Björklund - Co-Managing Partner, Permira
- Robert Lucas - Managing Partner, CVC Capital Partners
- How are LPs adjusting their portfolios given where we are in the cycle and what strategies are being adopted to protect returns?
- Is now the time to reserve capital?
- What impact will a negative net distribution rate have on LPs’ investment decisions and how large is the threat of being over exposed to private equity ?
- Louise Boothby - Partner, Coller Capital
- Allen MacDonell - Managing Director, Teacher Retirement Investment Company of Texas
- Giovanni Orsi - Senior Director, Head of Funds, Private Equity, PSP Investments
- Glenn Youngkin - Co-Chief Executive Officer and a member of Carlyle’s Board of Directors, The Carlyle Group
- Sarah Syed - European Private Equity Correspondent, Bloomberg News
This house believes that disruption is a greater threat to returns than macroeconomic forces.
GP’s selling stakes in their management companies, long duration funds, multiple product lines, lower hurdle rates, increased use of credit-lines and GP-led fund restructurings: how is LP/GP alignment shifting?
- William van Eesteren - Managing Director, Wilshire Private Markets
- Michael Lindauer - Managing Director, Global Co-Head of Private Equity, Allianz Capital Partners
- Eric-Jan Vink - Head of Private Equity, PGGM investments
- Mina Pacheco Nazemi - Managing Director, Barings
- Przemek Obloj - Managing Director, PSP Investments
- Where are returns going, really?
- To what extent is there a dislocation in LP vs GP expectations?
- How do the views of managers of different fund sizes vary?
- Net vs gross returns – how can we close the gap?
- Is a focus on IRR vs MOIC the start of becoming a short-term assets management business as opposed to a long-term value creator?
Closed door discussion
- What are the ingredients for a robust buy and build strategy and which sectors best lend themselves to this?
- What methods are managers using to plan and execute pipeline acquisition, integrate companies and optimise supply chains?
- What has caused deals to unravel in the past? Is a lower MOIC enough to boost returns?
- Simon Davidson - Partner, Exponent
- Frédéric Stevenin - Chief Investment Officer & General Manager, Pai Partners
- Ralf Flore - Managing Partner, Ufenau Capital Partners AG
- How are leading GPs defining and structuring their digital value creation strategy?
- Size, talent acquisition and integration with deal teams: how do views on optimal team models compare?
- How are GPs ensuring that digital levers address their investment strategy needs and when should they be pulled?
- What is next for these digital pioneers?
- Michael Brigl - Partner and Managing Director, The Boston Consulting Group
- Olof Hernell - CDO, EQT Partners
- Elias Korosis - Partner, Hermes GPE
- Roni Elchahal - Managing Director & Head of EMEA Capital Partnering, General Atlantic
- Irena Goldenberg - Partner, Highland Europe
- Mike Reid - Senior Partner, Frog Capital
- Tom Drake - Senior Investment Officer- Private Equity, State of Wisconsin Investment Board
- Ian Charles - Partner, Landmark Partners
- How critical is sector specialisation to a fund’s survival?
- Which sectors can best support a specialist fund and weather a turn in the cycle? How does the scope for scalability compare for sector vs generalist funds?
- Are generalist funds at risk of extinction?
- Alex Barker - Principal, HarbourVest Partners
- Gordon Hargraves - Partner, Private Advisors
- Manuel Hertweck - Managing Partner, capiton
- Gareth Whiley - Managing Partner, Silverfleet Capital
- Lindsey McMurray - Managing Director, Pollen Street Capital
- Which distressed strategies are best placed to capitalise in the lead up to, and during, a dislocation in the economy and how much variation is there in the relative risk/return profiles?
- How are concerns over scalability of this strategy and vunerabilty to market cycles overcome?
- What kind of exposure are LPs seeking and are net returns meeting expectations?
- Peter Laib - Chairman, YIELCO Investments
- Scott Spielvogel - Managing Partner, One Rock Capital Partners
- Ian Jackson - Managing Director and Co-Head of Carlyle Strategic Partners, The Carlyle Group
- Alexander Wit - Managing Partner, Phi Asset Management Partners
What risks and considerations do LPs need to take heed of given current market dynamics?
Faster process time-lines and increasingly challenging deals: how are LPs deciding when to lean-in or step back? What matters more, the manager or the deal?
- Rob de Jong - Managing Director, AlpInvest Partners
- Søren Brøndum Andersen - Partner, ATP Private Equity Partners
- What nuances in co-underwriting strategies exist and what is required get these deals over the line?
- What resources do you need as an LP and what makes a co-underwriter reliable?
- What do LPs need to see to gain enough conviction in a deal? With such fierce competition for syndicated deals, are they worth it?
- Corentin du Roy - Managing Director, HarbourVest
- David Smith - Managing Director, Co-head of Co-investments, Capital Dynamics
Uncut! Audience participation will be encouraged
- How can an LP turn down a deal without burning bridges?
- What is the best way for a GP to run a co-investment process?
- What value can an LP bring to the table? How much LP involvement do GPs really want?
- How can you be seen as the co-investment partner of choice?
- Gilles Collombin - Partner & Head of Investor Relations, Charterhouse
- Pieter-Jan Frederix - Principal, Unigestion
- To what degree are LMM GPs having to adapt to survive?
- How are deals being sourced and returns generated?
- How critical is domain expertise in an increasingly competitive market, and who are the competitors?
- Holger Rossbach - Senior Director, Private Investments, Cambridge Associates
- Jordan Katz - Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Angeles Equity Partners
Debate: what is the best way to tap into the LMM? A comparison of country specific vs regional strategies
- Maria Sanz Garcia - Partner, YIELCO Investments
- Marco Capello - Co-Founder & Partner, Bluegem Capital Partners
- Gonzalo de Rivera - CEO, Alantra
- Jean-Francois Le Ruyet - Partner, Quilvest Private Equity
- Arnaud Lipkowicz - Managing Director, GCM Grosvenor
- Oksana Tiedt - Investor, Board Member, Lennertz & Co
- Yolande van den Dungen - Portfolio Manager, Alternatives, SPF Beheer
- Carve outs, transformations and turnarounds: what approaches are managers taking to source deals and extract value from complex situations at this point in the cycle?
- How great is LP appetite for this investment strategy?
- Ralf Gleisberg - Partner, Private Equity, Unigestion
- Garry Wilson - Founding Partner, Endless LLP
- Stefan Lehotkay - Partner, Clearsight Investments
- Samuel Cannon - Director of Investment Sourcing, Global Endowment Management
- How to generating attractive risk-adjusted returns in infrastructure in today’s environment?
- Innovative approaches to asset management, active ownership and leveraging private equity value creation toolkit in infrastructure
- Dmitriy Antropov - Co-Head Private Infrastructure Integrated Investments, Partners Group
- Brent Burnett - Managing Director, Real Assets, Hamilton Lane
- Pooja Goyal - Partner and Head of Renewable and Sustainable Energy Team, The Carlyle Group
- To what degree can we expect the strong performance of real assets to continue?
- What specialisations exist and how do risk/return profiles compare?
- What should a real assets allocation bring to a portfolio and how are LPs striking a balance across the various niche strategies?
- Laurence Monnier - Head of Strategy and Research, Alternative Income, Aviva Investors
GPs will have the chance to secure a position on stage to pitch their fund to a panel of LPs